The History of the Restaurant
The Restaurant Pizzeria Kilt is located in the heart of the Olympic Valleys, where the Winter Olympics of Turin 2006 are to be held.
Originally, the building was used as a stable for the changing over of horses for the Postal Service which went all the way from Turin to Briancon. During the Second World War, a regiment of the Scottish Army passed through and sought refuge in the stable. Probably the name Kilt came as a sign of friendship and remembrance of the Scottish visit.
The building has since been used as a club and, after restoration in 1986 by the present owners as a restaurant, the name Kilt was kept. The dining room is cosy and well lit and the ceiling is characterised by ‘cross-vaults’ which join together in the middle of the room. On the main column there is a stone sculpture inscribed upon which is the year of construction of the building dating back to 1854, along with the name of the family who once lived there.
The bar top, the doors and all the wood in the building came from a wooden chalet in the town of Bardonecchia in the early 1900s and contributed to the preservation of the buildings appearance as an old mountain chalet.