The seven former volcanoes
Of these seven, five are large volcanoes: mounts Chenaillet, Gimont, Saurel, Cresta Rascia and La Plane. The other two (Lago Nero and Giamassan) are medium-sized (subsidiary volcanoes).
Three of these lakes - Sette Fontane, Baisses and Jalabert - are situated to the north of Claviere.
The fourth, which was called Blanch, to the west of the village, where the golf course is now located, and the other two to the south, one in the La Coche locality and the other in the Gimont valley.
Numerous fossils of various kinds have been found here, ranging from plants petrified by lava approximately a million years ago to plants petrified by the multiple deglaciations, rich in limestone and therefore calcareous. Above Claviere, these fossils are situated in the following areas:
the area of the Petit Vallon river; the entire Jalabert slope; the Rio Secco valley floor, waterfall and small canyon; the Baisses valley, the Sette Fontane, the upper Baisses valley (as well as the area near the Col de la Lauze peak) and as far as the Col des Trois Frères Mineurs peak;
south of Claviere: the Prà Jardin locality, near the Catella quarry, in the Gimont and the upper Rio Gimont valley; the La Plane peak and, finally, the Valle dei Mandarini.
The first is in the area of the golf course, the second in the La Coche locality, and the third in the Gimont valley.
The first is above the Sette Fontane, the second beyond the Col de la Lauze, and the third near the Col Dormilleuse peak.
The first is located to the north of Claviere, in the Jalabert slope area (valley bottom), and is rich in calcium, magnesium, lithium, sodium, potassium and more, as well as, of course, iron.
The second is south of Claviere, on the orographic right of the Piccola Dora stream, just below the two tennis courts. It contains the following minerals, in addition to iron: lithium, sodium, silica, manganese, traces of fluorine, selenium, and aluminium, magnesium, and others besides.
These are located in the area above the Sette Fontane springs near the fork between the Col de la Lauze peak and the Alpet area, and on the Col de la Dormilleuse.
There are four of these.
The first is situated just above the left-hand side of the A-road (former SS 24 from Cesana to Claviere), just after the bridge over the Comba, and is in semi-ruin.
The second was located at the entrance to the village, on the right going up.
The third - and only almost entirely intact one - is between the Gimont stream and the lower, left-hand slope of Rocca Clari.
The fourth was situated in the La Coche locality. During the War, it was converted and used as a pillbox, this being a military zone. It was used until 1939 and then destroyed after the signing of the peace treaty in 1947.
In terms of plants and trees, this area is one of the richest in the whole of the Western Alps.
In the area to the south of Claviere, there are three extremely large moraines, created by glaciations during the Quaternary Period.
The first is situated at an altitude of 1960 m and is 120-130 linear metres wide and 7-18 m deep. The second is situated at 2150 metres, south-east of Mount La Plane, and is 130-140 m wide and approximately 15-17 m deep. The fallen stones and boulders were once part of the La Plane volcano, which broke up in an explosion due to water penetrating inside the crater. The third is located to the south of Mount Chenaillet, at an altitude of approximately 2300 m, covering an area of approximately 140 with a depth of 10-13 m.